Ice cold water. Electrocuting shocks. Army crawls through mud. Monkey bars with an incline suspended above murky water. This hardly puts a dent into what all everyone overcame this weekend when running the Tough Mudder. This was my first time completing one of these boogers and I did it with my brother, who was doing it for his second time! Holy. Moly. The Tough Mudder was comprised of probably the most physically and mentally challenging tasks I have ever done, but was also one of the most fun times I’ve had! If you remember my knee hurting during the Portland Marathon two weeks ago, you won’t be surprised to hear it killed during this as well. However, I knew this was just as much a mental challenge as it was a physical challenge, so I pushed on.
One of the greatest parts about a Tough Mudder is the atmosphere. Everyone is there for a grand ol’ time and wants you to succeed. In order for you to succeed, you have to rely on others to literally pull you up. Think about submerging yourself halfway into muddy water, then having to get over slippery, muddy hills. You have nowhere to push off of…except those next to you. You also have nowhere to grab up top that has a grip, except those reaching down to get you. Get the picture? Basically, you need to be ready to make lotsa new friends and use every ounce of strength you possess. I’ve compiled a list of what to know before running your first Tough Mudder:
- Wear leggings or spandex
- Put your hair into braids
- Have them write your number on your forehead
- Know it is all about teamwork
- Keep a positive mantra in your head for when times get rough
- Don’t plan on keeping your shoes after
- The water really is deep enough, so don’t be scared about that
- You will inevitably be extremely sore with a few cuts and bruises
- They don’t check the start time they assign you…so do with that what you will
- There are all types of people out there with a wide range of physical fitness types
I LOVED this. I’m already trying to figure out a time I can travel to another city and complete one there. Seriously, don’t let intimidation stop you from doing this! Sign up, start training and HAVE FUN!
Have you ever done a race like this? If not, would you ever?
P.S. If you’re looking for more way fun races to run, check out my Marathon Bucket List!
And a few more shots from this weekend, a la Tough Mudder….